Skip to main content

A dear friend

I'm leading the study tomorrow at my Bible Study. We're reading a book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan and the chapter I'm in 'charge of' of real life examples of people who are living completely for Christ. I've come up with an example from my own life to talk about and I thought I'd let my blog readers in on what I'm going to share tomorrow. Enjoy!



I met Mrs. Hohman on a hot July afternoon after mistakenly knocking on her neighbor’s door. I stood on her front porch with my mom, nervously waiting to meet the woman I planned on living with for my first year at Grove City.


I felt like I was towering over her short frame as she showed me the 3rd floor and barked the rules of “no swearing, no smoking, no boys”. I handed over my rent check and moved to her house in late August.

September came and a fellow freshman had a mental breakdown and her bed was now available to me…… So, after 3 weeks of living with Mrs. Hohman I moved out. My dad drove up to help me lug my belongings from the third floor and told her that “I was different” and would come back to see her.


My visits were probably sporadic at first…but then, it became a Wednesday night habit of walking to her house after dinner. She was expecting to see me most night and we’d work on a puzzle…make rice-krispie treats…or eat an ice-cream sandwich on her front porch. I’d listen to the same stories of her childhood, came to understand her entire family tree, and struggled through “Clair de Lune” on her piano.


She was most excited when I got engaged. She was most sad when graduation day came around. I called occasionally, but it was not the same. When we visited the campus we’d always stop in to see her.


My dad called one day while I was at work to let me know that he’d driven by and her house was for sale. I frantically called, searched for her son on the internet, found an email … and found out that she had been in the hospital, they had found brain cancer and she was in hospice. I sent a card. The next week my mom read in the paper that she had passed away.


Why do I tell you this story of Mrs. Hohman? She is my example of a Christian woman who had an impact just going about her normal life. I was inspired by the people in this chapter, but Mrs. Hohman was an example from my life. She didn’t have a lot of money, but she gave with a joyful heart. She wasn’t in the greatest of health but made it to church on Sunday to worship. She raised her family to honor the Lord and her son is now a preacher. She spent her mornings in the chair next to her front door praying for a whole list of people and it comforted me while I was away from home to know that I was on the list. I miss her.


She is a reminder to me that I don’t need to move to Africa with Chloe strapped to my back and live in a hut to make a difference for Jesus. I can remind a friend that God is always listening, I can invite someone to MOMS, and I can get to know my neighbors. Maybe then, people will ask about the hope that is within me.

Comments

Natalie said…
What a lovely post! Very well written and heartfelt. I know how much Mrs. Hohman meant to you just from the stories you told in college. I'm so glad to see a picture of her - I never met her even though I knew so much about her!

And just so you know, you are one of my examples of people who are living completely for Christ.
Erin said…
Aw Alison I have tears in my eyes! What a great post, I enjoyed reading it a lot.
Anonymous said…
What a nice testimony, You both benefited from your friendship and gave to each other joy. You should have a good meeting. momily
Elizabeth said…
This was beautiful, Ali. You were also a faithful friend to Mrs. Hohman. And you are right ... an "ordinary" life lived for Christ is actually amazingly extraordinary. :)
Anonymous said…
Oh the tears. And I really didn't know Mrs. Hohman at all. What a wonderful lady she was. :) Rice Crispy treat story definietly rang a bell, and maybe as a side note you can talk about her climbing up on her table... maybe to fix a light or something I think... :)
~ Laura
Heather D said…
Sweet Mrs. Hohman:) Beautiful words, Alison!
Kelli and Brad said…
Or you could simply write a post about a life lived well and inspire others to love their neighbors just the same. Thank you for the beautiful post!

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding!

Congratulations to the new Mr. and Mrs. Martin! :) We attended Natalie and Dallas' wedding on Saturday and had a lovely time. We know both the bride and groom from college....and just happen to be great friends with the bride's parents as well (Hi Bill and Doreen!). Here is the new couple - Natalie looked beautiful, and Dallas looked pretty good too ;) Here I am with the bride - check out her BLUE shoes! No wedding is complete without a little dancing and singing....particularly to Livin on a Prayer....Steve, Jeff, and Kevin sang at the top of their lungs and performed an air guitar solo: even the bride joined in: We had a great time! I'm thinking of the honeymooners.....kind of wishing I was on a tropical island somewhere too! :)

Baby Pool

Want to guess when Baby #2 is going to arrive? Post a comment, or send me an email, with your guess and I'll add you in! As a review, here are the rules to the game (taken from Heather Deterding!): 1. Post your guess for the baby's arrival in the "comment" section. Be sure to specify both date and time of day -- either "am" or "pm". 2. Limit one guess per person, and only one entry per time slot-- no sharing! 3. Winner is determined based on time of birth. For example, if the baby is born on April 20th at 7 AM, a guess of "April 20th, AM" would be the winner. In the event that there is no entry for the correct arrival time, the next closest guess based on actual time of birth would win. 4. We will post entries on the Calendar above. Check prior entries before placing your guess! Dates not displayed on the calendar above are still up for grabs. 5. The winner will receive... bragging rights and a congratulatory post h

April Hope

Praise God! We are thrilled to announce the birth of April Hope, born this morning at 4:42 a.m. and weighing in at 8 lbs 3 oz. and 20.5 inches long. We think she is beautiful! Both April and Alison are doing great. Here are just a few of many pictures taken on her first day. More to come... April Hope Alison and April Chloe meets her little sister April A very proud mom and dad